When the universe feels aligned against you.....

Do it anyway. Force yourself.

Man I've had a little run of bad workout luck this past couple of days. I am an extremely black and white thinker and I am a person who needs and always has a plan. My days are planned to a T, and when the plan gets set off track, I get distinctly uncomfortable and annoyed.

Friday morning I had a hell of a workout in Athletic Conditioning. I used a 25 lb kettlebell, and between the walking lunges with the bell, the insane amount of swings and snatches and squats, and the 100 box jumps with 6 risers/side.......my ass is still killing me. Literally. I could have run after that workout, I had a decision to make. Run on the treadmill and go buy a birthday present with all 3 kids after nap, or go get the gift then, and run in the rain as per the original Friday plan. Me being me, I stuck with the original plan and went to get the gift, then pick up the kids at preschool. This turned out to be a bad decision, as Jake pulled a fast one on me and fell asleep on the ride from the store to preschool, which he never does. This meant that this fun rainy run I had been planning was going to be off. He slept in the car while I fed the kids and got them off to bed at 1:30. By 2, Jake was awake. I fed him and with a break in the rain, decided to try to take him for a run in the stroller. The weatherman was way off, and instead of it being almost 70 it was about 48 and misting. It was damp, and cold. I wrapped up Jake in my down coat like a burrito, and set out. He started crying 1.75 miles into the run, and I hightailed it home, thwarted and a little sad.

We had a great, and much too late, time out on Friday night. Despite being tired, I was at the gym at 8:15 as per the plan to meet Tiffany for a body bar class followed by a 45 minute HIIT class. About 45 minutes into the first one, I got yanked due to poor Luke and the little puking in the treehouse incident. Again, thwarted. I felt off kilter all day.

Today? I took the kids (no further illness occurred, it seems to have been a one off thing) to the gym but didn't even wear my workout clothes, as I had a long run planned with Tiffany at 1.30. At 11 I get a text from her that due to excessive merry making last night, she could not run. THWARTED again!!!!

I decided that I could again let it ruin my day, and ruin my workout, or I could get over it, adapt, and get my ass out the door on my own. SO GLAD I did as I just got in a glorious almost 9 on a beautiful beautiful sunny day.

I get why people don't work out. I really do. It can be incredibly inconvenient. You have to do it anyway. Your body and your mind will thank you tremendously.

Comments

  1. Yes! If I can just get my butt out the door (without letting anyone else or my own lack of motivation get in the way), I can get business handled. But those first steps are often the hardest. Congrats on getting it done and doing it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that when it is hardest for me to get out the door, those are the days that I need to it the most and feel fantastic afterwards.

    This is just one of those lessons I have had to learn (and still struggle with) on my journey to being healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been out of work for a long time. Sent my resume out to over 500 jobs. Nadda unless it's stupid stuff or 100% commission. About to lose my house. Just cut my boob with my razor in the shower. Can't get anyone to do anything with me. I'm alone most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts