Shavasana

Lying on the back, the arms and legs are spread at about 45 degrees, the eyes are closed and the breath deep, usingdirga (long) pranayama. The whole body is relaxed onto the floor with an awareness of the chest and abdomen rising and falling with each breath. All parts of the body are scanned for muscular tension of any kind, which is consciously released as it is found, optionally with a small repetitive movement of the area. All control of the breath, the mind, and the body is then released for the duration of the posture, typically 20-30 minutes although often less in Western yoga classes.

The posture is released by slowly deepening the breath, flexing the fingers and toes, reaching the arms above the head, stretching the whole body, exhaling, bringing the knees to the chest and rolling over to the side in a fetal position. After a short time and a slow inhalation, the practitioner takes a seated position.

Following an asana practice ending in shavasana, the body may be in the anabolic state of metabolism during which organ and muscle repair and development is occurring.[citation needed] Activities requiring the body to switch back to the highly active catabolic state of metabolism are therefore reintroduced sensitively, as the two states do not coexist well.


It's a shavasna sort of day.


When I find myself overtly emotional, I do one of two things. Run, or relax.


Circumstances prevented my running today, but an awesome 75 minute flow yoga experience today gave me this face......this face of my sweet boy who turned 5 today.


Happy birthday, sweet boy.


I had fun celebrating with friends yesterday, this morning, and tonight.......and am excited to run tomorrow, though I admit that I am rather angsty that it has to be on the treadmill for the next week. Anyone have any good musical suggestions? I need a longer playlist and would really appreciate recommendations (though I admit I don't like that alternativy sort of stuff, or anything akin to what I actually listen to in real life......trying to run to Patty Griffin or some such is veritable suicide, though that graces my home daily as I cook)


Karly, I will tell you that I added "Eye of the Tiger" and on my first really cold run (like, 25 degrees) it came up second on my shuffle and I admit to both laughing out loud and sortov doing this weird dance/punch the sky move. I was very glad to be on a country road so that no one could see me, though I was having so much fun. You would have been proud.


Speaking of running in the cold, my run yesterday was fantastic. As I started running in March and we have had a tremendously mild winter, I don't know anything about winter running. With the addition of a fleece wind blocker vest to my arsenal, it was awesome. It was so bright I was crying. It was too cold to open my mouth to breathe. My breath was a benediction as it flowed out of my body. NO ONE was around. I understand how people equate running with religion (or any meditative practice). I Understand why running never appealed to me before I had children. Running is incredibly silent. It is......well, beautiful. I had a beautiful run yesterday. My nose froze.

Comments

  1. I hope you had a wonderful day with Luke! Your winter run sounds refreshing! Does the cold air burn you chest? That always happened to me when running in the cold, it hurt so much to breathe I couldn't run at all when it was cool. Maybe iTunes has pre-made running playlists you can check?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect day of celebration. Am smiling just reading about it. :) And laughing out loud as I picture you rocking out to "Eye of the Tiger." It's cheesy, but perfect sometimes, right? Especially if you are fist-pumping the clouds as you charge forward. A cold, clear day sounds perfect for channeling some Rocky.

    As for music? I can't listen to a playlist because it's not enough variety. To be honest, I had a Garmin for a few weeks and sent it back because (although I loved it), I was still running with my phone (for security especially since I am usually running in the dark and alone) and am addicted to Pandora. The armband for my phone doesn't bother me after wearing it for a few years. I just ziploc my phone for added sweat protection. Anyway. Pandora. It's awesome. There are great preset channels like one called "Alternative Endurance"...it plays songs with great running beats like the Killers. They have pop and hip hop workout stations as well. Usually I like to listen to the station for awhile before a run (especially a longer one) and just "thumbs down" the songs I hate that way I am not usually stuck with a crappy one during my run. If you have your phone sitting on the treadmill though, I would be easy to skip a song or change stations. Blahblahblah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really can't get over that adorable squishy perfection pictured up there. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa have you gotten into Florence and the machine? I love her and I find her music to run, sing, too awesome!
    favorite songs are shake it out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts