Running in the Rain.

I get to have a run in the rain today! Normally I wouldn't be so overly excited about that, but as Nate got home a day early (surprising me last night), I now can run at nap time sans Jake, which means I can run outside on a bizarrely (maybe 70?) warm day with rain and thunder forecast and no kid to push. Score.

I loved my summertime run rains, and am hoping to replicate the fun today. Important things:

*wear a hat. Your face stays dry.
*Dress so that cars can see you
*Cover up your technology ~ if you don't have a waterproof case a ziplock bag works fine
*Don't overdress, dress for the temperature, heavy soggy and unnecessary clothes are no fun to run around in.
*When you are done, either put your running shoes over a heating vent upside down, or stuff newspaper inside them to dry them out.
*Leap into puddles. Why not?

I had an AWESOME treadmill run yesterday. I was dreading it. The kids slept forever after their morning at the park, when I finally gave in and woke all 3 at 4:15 it meant that I didn't get to the gym until 4:45. My low energy time of day, always. I got the mail on the way and found my first issue of "Woman's Running" in the mailbox......it got me tempted to just get on the stairs to read it, but I had told myself I was going to run, so I forced myself onto the treadmill. Right before I got on I read something on my phone (some silly online thing) that made me angry. That anger fueled an awesome run! Who knew? Maybe I should have someone insult me before the Broad St, where I will be trying to PR. I ran my fastest 10K on the treadmill ever. Will admit that a back to back "Born to Run" followed by "Eye of the Tiger" didn't hurt. Love when Shuffle offers up little gems like that during a run.

I have "athletic conditioning" this morning, a series of Kettlebell and plyometrics, then my run at naptime. I'd like to get 5 or 6 in. No good yoga today, will get back to that tomorrow. Will do a series of sun salutations tonight, like I did last night, and call it all good.

We have dinner out with friends tonight, so I'm mixing up my shake routine and having one for breakfast and one for lunch so that I can eat socially at dinner. I'm so dumb for not realizing that I could mix up the order of the shakes, I could have avoided two awkward not eating things this week ~ it pays to ask questions!

Do you run in the rain? What do you love or hate about it?

Comments

  1. Love to run in the warm rain. Surprisingly, I also had several good training runs in some sleet last year, but I need to be training in order to motivate myself to get out in the cold like that. Enjoy your run today! (I am jealous of the warmth). And congrats on kicking some dreadmill ass yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pointers about running in the rain. I ran in the rain once back when I was fairly new to running and made the mistake of wearing a lightweight jacket, which wasn't really necessary and bogged me down. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts