A new book.

The internet is awesome. I posted over at RW looking for some recommendations on a good marathon training book. This was the best comment I received:

Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. This has information on nutrition, hydration, injury prevention, etc. The plans may be too aggressive for a new runner, but it is still a good read. When I started, I used the Hal Higdon plans and just concentrated on increasing my mileage without too much speed work. You have great race times for being a "new-ish" runner!

So, with one click on Amazon, I ordered it. I can't wait to get it. One of the best things about running is how inexpensive it is. Race entries can add up, but if you register in advance they don't even compare to the cost of a gym membership or expensive diet food or personal training or whatnot. Sneakers are cheap. A good running outfit or four come in handy, but even Target and Gapfit have VERY affordable and decent performance wear. One does not have to be decked out in Lululemon to enjoy running (though to go to my gym you wouldn't know it).

I admit to really wanting one piece of gear: A GPS watch. I don't care if it is an old or new Garmin, or the Nike one, or what, I just need something that I can strap on my wrist and know how far I am going, and at what pace. Last summer I used to just set time goals, i.e I want to run for 40 minutes. I had no idea how far I went, unless I was pushing Jake, in which case I would use my mapmyrun app on my phone to track my distance. Today, I ran 8 with Tiffany while pushing Jake, Tiff uses the Nike+ app and wears her iPhone on an armband, but I think that it might drive me nuts. As I picture myself caring more about distance and time this summer once I get serious about training, I know that most of my long runs are doing to be done without the stroller, and subsequently without my phone/GPS. I really want a watch. Anyone have one? Anyone have any recommendations? With Mothers Day and a birthday this spring I'm hoping that perhaps I could finagle my way into one of them, but have no idea what one might work best for me. Anyone? Excited to get my hands on this book and learn more. Next week I'm going to be chained to the treadmill again so I'm trying to get in my fill of long runs outside this week. The weather was absolutely incredible again today ~ it is simply unheard of to have a spate of 60 degree weather in February in PA. I think I'm getting tan. Bizarre.

It's tuesday tomorrow.......so I'm going to join the run club for hills again. I admit that as I lay in bed here at 7:45 while my kids watch a show it sounds rather unappetizing.....but I know I will be glad I did it once I am done. Urgh.


Comments

  1. Hey-I ran into a friend of mine today, asked her if she uses a GPS watch. She said Garmin, hands down. 400 is better than 300, not sure what that means though. She's a seasoned marthoner (running Boston for the second year in a row) if that helps! Hoping for more good running weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, ran into a friend of mine today who's a runner, asked her about GPS watches. She said a Garmin, hands down. 400 is better than 300? She's a seasoned marathoner (running Boston for the second year in a row) if that helps! Hopeing for more good running weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim has yet to use the Garmin watch I gave him...., want to borrow it to check it out? Seems like someone should put it to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie I would love love love to borrow it, even just for a week to see what I think. Thank you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts