Cake.



Today was just a hard day. I think that I'm simply a little emotionally worn out ~ Between the getaway (which, as all mothers know, is as much work as it is fun between packing/unpacking/cleaning etc) and coming home to a husband totally laid up with Strep AND hosting a 25 person party at the house Saturday.....well, my emotional tank is on empty.

The party was a ton of fun, but the most fun was simply watching my sweet and fierce little daughter trot around in pure joy in her wonder woman costume for the majority of the night. A wonder woman costume, AND pearls, I might add.

I'm not super girl. I'm not wonder woman. And while it is fun to indulge in those fantasies every now and then, sometimes pure old life reminds you of your own limitations. I feel like Nate and I are walking a razors edge with life these days ~ we can handle the three kids, school, work, and even manage to fit in enough couple and family time to keep things flowing. The razor is SO fine however, that just one or two events (illness, house painting, a party, or all three combined) can send things spiraling into the realm of the untenable. I woke up unsettled, to say the least.

The LAST thing I wanted to do was run. Literally, I was almost looking for excuses to put it off. We spent the morning at Freedom Playground (it was a lovely day) while Nate studied, and when he gave me a free pass to go run with friends at 2 I knew I needed to take it. Sometimes when mired down in that place, that place of overwhelmedness, the only remedy is swift and sure action. I can't control the 14 months of school that are left. I can't control the new gifts all over my living room floor. I can't control my tired body and my feeling of being slightly underappreciated. But I can run. So run I did. I got in 8.5 with two friends on a LOVELY warm day, vented at the beginning, compete with a tear or two, and by the end was all smiles.

I'm sitting here enjoying a piece of supergirl cake and a gigantic glass of milk (my new craving ~ I never ever believed in pregnancy cravings but I'm becoming a believer in running cravings ~ I crave cows milk and carrot juice. Bizarre) and feeling grateful for the way a run turned my day around.

Comments

  1. Great quote by Rocky. Kudos for being tough and taking quick action before you could change your mind. If it was me, I probably would have rested, LOL. How appropriate that you enjoyed some supergirl cake. You *are* a supergirl in your own way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts