A virtual tour of a happy run.


The view at Sunset Beach. As Cape May is the southern tip of NJ, we can actually go to the end of it and watch the sun set into the water, which is rare here on the east coast. This was about 4 miles into my run. You can see the sunken ship, and if you look really really closely, the ferry which runs from CM to Lewes, DE.
The entry into the Nature Conservatory. This was at about mile 5, and I felt like getting off road, so I ran the trail. Had no idea how long the loop was, and the wind was positively howling, but I decided that if I wanted to go long today, I had to get creative.
The view from the top of the trail and the beachhead, a lovely look at the dunes and the Lighthouse. This woman was confused about why some sweaty 1980 dressed runner was stopping to take a picture.



Along the trail. There were these 4 gigantic flesh eating buzzards guarding this small bridge. I was afraid of them tearing out my eyeballs, though I felt quite alive. Luckily as I went for my camera they took flight, giving me a good shot, and intact eyeballs.

The Mall! I ended up running through here twice. This was at about 7 or so.
A glimpse of the hundreds of beautiful bed and breakfasts which grace Cape May, and differentiate it from every other "Jersey shore" town. No Snooki's, here
The wind was killing me, KILLING me by mile 8, so I ran by billionaires row. It didn't help. Just some hot air, and egregiously intimidating second homes. They didn't provide nearly enough shelter from the wind, despite their girth. This was at about mile 9. I turned for home here, having reached the other end of the island.
Home, sweet home! I meant to run 10, misjudged my return distance from the north end, and ended up having to run just one block past the house to get to exactly 11. Coming home is so, so good. I was SO THIRSTY.

I'm sick of my loops. I get tired of my 5, my 7, my 9, my 11 around my house. EG park is great, but I tire of it too. Love hill climbs, but it is dark and they are mean. Today was all about running through my childhood, and doing it in an entirely new way (i.e hoofing it). I love this town. I am passionate about this town. I started vacationing here for 3 weeks every summer with our families best friends as a 6 or 7 year old, started living here for the summers at about 12, and worked and lived here all summer through high school. Since then I'm back every year, as often as possible. If people have love affairs with towns, this is mine. The best part about getting here is parking the car, and never getting in it again. It is infused with beauty and history, and everything is within walking distance. Our beaches are beautiful and clean and dolphins put on a dance every day on Windsor beach, where we set up camp with our family of friends who we have made through the years.

My run today was dedicated to my friend Amanda, who is living elsewhere, but loves this town like I do. I miss her terribly awful. And I don't care about tense, because that is how I miss her. When you have a kindred spirit and they go missing on you, you miss them with a painful sort of hurt. My run today was a reminder that there are so many places to go in life, and so many beautiful places to see, even if you can't see the path or don't really have a destination in mind. My run today reminded me that there is so much magic in mystery, so much potential in the unknown/unplanned, and so much good waiting just around the corner. It reminded me that if I trust in myself, the options are literally limitless. I love you, friend. I was so awed at how lucky I was to be out running (THANK YOU JEANNIE FOR STAYING HOME DURING NAP TIME!) that I literally felt compelled to take pictures of it. When I am struggling up the same hill at home for the eleventyth time, I am going to remember this run. This place infused, entangled with my history. The places I worked, the places I lived, the friends I am so grateful to have made. I felt very blessed today, as I ran. That said, the wind can go stab itself in the eye. It was HARD!

I also was that weird person stripping on the side of a major road. There is something you don't see every day, eh? I had worn my run skort as it was warm, and picked a thin long sleeve and my vest (which I needed for my technology, I hadn't packed a short sleeved run shirt). About 2 miles in I was dying. I literally stopped, stripped off my shirt, tied it around my waist, and put by vest back on, unzipped to the bottom. It was like this 80's style bare armed vest running freak show. It worked, I guess. I think that I got a tan, and an ab workout working against the howling wind. I sortov wish I had a picture, because I absolutely looked like the worlds biggest running dork.

My left hip is hurting, and I'm wishing I had my foam roller with me. Alas. I will have to actually STRETCH, something that I don't do well on my own. Anyway, it was a great day. The wind continues to howl and I need to get into a hot 6 way shower and tuck myself into bed ASAP. I also need a massage. I think that pushing the stroller (or is it general stress?) is doing nasty wonders on my upper back and shoulders. The weekend is crazy with commitments, this is my respite, but I hope to squeeze a yoga class in there somewhere.

Run on, friends. This was the best run I've ever had. It was flat, the wind was a bitch, but I was on my own time, free to go as far as I wanted, running through memory lane. Nature buoyed me, my thoughts of my friend Amanda uplifted me, my gratitude for Jeannie and my napping kids inspired me, and my legs carried me. Can't ask for much more than that.

Comments

  1. You found your peace today and I loved reading about it. You are a warrior! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. Amazing. There's nothing like that in Ontario. I sure wish I lived closer to the ocean. Love those B&B's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I'm keeping the kids for longer and sending you straight to yoga/sauna/massage. Love them so. Thank you for a wonderful few days in your beach hometown! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie I think that you ought to have sent me into an eye bath. My eyes are SO red, Nate asked me what was wrong with me tonight as I saw him for 3 seconds in his cave of strep man sickness. I really think that the sand/wind did a number on me. I need to find some running sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and wonderful place to run!

    And can I just say, your Blog posts are always so interesting and I enjoy reading them so much, unlike MY measly "Re-train for 5K" blog, which is probably as boring as it gets, LOL. You give me inspiration to do better with my blog, so that people might actually want to read it, haha.

    Sorry about your hip. Hope it's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts