I did it.

I did it! I ran 16 miles today. This is a first. I have to say I'm proud of myself. That said, I did it with the luxury of a great meal, a long jacuzzi, and some down time in between. Even with that said, I was very aware of the toll of the running total on my body. My brain got fuzzy, I was at like 5.5 and was thinking, only one more, no wait, that makes 6, no, get to six then three more, no wait, WHAT. I don't know what this whole "hitting the wall" or "bonking" thing that I hear about from marathoners is all about, but it felt really weird to not be able to add my 8 previous miles to my current miles. I know I'm not all that bright, but that is hardly higher math.

I ran into it again when I got home. I had my mapmyrun mileage/time on my phone. Ok. So 1:17. And I ran for 68 minutes on the dreadmill. If you had seen me trying to guzzle water while adding up those minutes and compensating for hours, you may have thought I was insane. At one point I was watching the eleventy TV's while running and listening to my music......the TV's were very horrifically dominated by the horrors that the south was experiencing in the form of tornadoes today, I heard a HUGE bang through my blaring probably deafening music, and ducked. I literally jumped to the sides of my treadmills and ducked. I thought it was a tornado. It was just some meathead dropping his weights or something.

This was good for me. It showed me how hard this sort of mileage is, even with a huge break. I could run a marathon tomorrow, given 24 hours and a jacuzzi and some baby loving. I could NOT do it in a healthy fashion given my current fitness. Good to know.

I came home and met Dee (Nate is at school) for some pizza, which I devoured. It is funny ~ early in the day she had offered to bring over pizza for a game night with the kids. I was all "no, I'm going to make this butternut squash and chicken salad"........and after running 8 and setting my weird random intention of 16 I called her on the way to the gym and said, please, PLEASE bring that pizza. Because after running 16 if someone dares put squash and a salad in my face I'm going to punch them.

So, new thing. Learned lots. Not easy. Much to do. Feel great. Yoga tomorrow. Yawn.

Comments

  1. Awesome! I am so impressed. I wonder if you were a bit glycogen-deprived, as that affects the brain. I laughed so hard at your comment about the squash and a salad! Hope you really enjoyed that pizza. You deserved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts