One of those days........

Where you KNOW you want to do it.....but you just dont really want to do it.

Yesterday was terribly tumultuous. Can't even go into it, but it ended up being a rest day. This morning I knew I needed a break from the kids, but wasn't ready to work out. Instead I packed up my bikini, a towel, some amazing body scrub that Dee brought me from the Flower Show, and did a free mini spa session at the gym. I got in the whirlpool first, at about 105 degrees for about 20 minutes. Climbed out and went into an ice cold shower. Left there and entered the sauna. Spent about 20 minutes in there, got out, chugged a litre of water, and got back in the ice shower. From there to the steam room for maybe 15. Chugged water upon exit, ice shower, sauna for 20. Chugged water, ice shower, steam room. After that I got in the shower and used the delicious exfoliating scrub that Dee had given me, then lathered up in thick lotion. Drank more. It was heavenly.

The kids and I hit up the running store (where I picked up some compression calf sleeves along with my glide), Carlinos for something Irish, and home. While the kids slept my Mom visited and pressed pitzelles while I made meatballs, sausage and homemade gravy for tomorrow. I played outside with the kids for an hour, then put them all to bed while I cooked. Jake woke first. When he went missing I found him in Luke's room, happily playing legos while Luke was sound asleep. I climbed in Lukes warm sunny bed and caught a tremendous 40 minute nap with my sleephead boy. It was lovely. Literally as we were waking up Nate got home from school. I was already in my running clothes..........and felt like sleeping more, NOT running. However, I was excited about the weather, my new el cheapo running skirt from target, and the new calf sleeves. I set out. I purposely left all technology behind, as I wanted a head clearing see whats going on meditate on my own breath sort of run. Ran shirtless for the first time (shirtless meaning in my sports bra) this season. Considering it's St Patties day, that is insane. I got in 8.2 lovely miles, know knowing my home loops to the .10th thanks to mapmyrun, and enjoyed the birds, the legions of kids, and the changing landscape. Cherry trees are in full explosion, daffodils are gleefully shining everywhere, and the dogwoods are *just* about to pop. I enjoyed the silence, my breath, my footfalls being my only companions.

It was just what I needed.

I opted out of that run tomorrow as it meant a lot of logistics, and instead opted for a round of golf with my much missed much loved husband. First round of the season! Hoping to get in a quick 5 or so later in the afternoon, but until then I am RAVING about my compression sleeves (which I put back on after my shower they feel so good), had a lovely dinner, and am raring to go hit the links tomorrow.

Make yourself do it !~ the days you don't want to but do it anyway often end up being the best runs of all. I feel cleansed, scrubbed, glowing, and grateful for my run. Do it.

Comments

  1. Tell me more about the compression sleeves. What do they do? And why are they called sleeves if they're for your calves? And I LOVE IT that you got St. Patty's day food at CARLINO's! That's my Italian friend! xoxoxo Hit em long and straight today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie I bought these, I'm guessing that they are called sleeves because to differentiate them from socks ~ these are footless http://www.socksaddict.com/prod1192.aspx?source=SingleFeed_Socks+Addict&cvsfa=3121&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=31313932&gclid=CPfBhZub8a4CFcRM4AodrnE_Hg. I got them in pink, of course :) I like the way that they help recovery ~ I feel less sore and have noticed that my shin splints don't hurt. Plus, with a really short skort they feel a little sexy. Which, as everyone knows, a little dirty schoolgirl can really speed you up. I bought Shepherds pie and made meatballs and gravy, which we are eating today ~ I gave in to my Irish/mutt husband and it was worth it, Carlinos even makes Irish food appealing, who would have known????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing those sleeves and socks around, and I'm wondering if they would help with my leg cramps that I've been getting lately. Do you like the sleeves better than the whole sock?

    Glad you got a rest in yesterday and some golf in today. You've all had some AMAZING weather there this winter, just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw those (calf compression sleeves) on a guy running in the 5K race this past Saturday and wondered what they were. And you are so right about just doing it when you don't feel like it. I never regret it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts